Fast relief from the itchiness, redness and swelling of skin allergies and hayfever.
Piriton Allergy tablets contain an antihistamine. Histamine is a chemical released into the body during an allergic reaction. It causes itching and inflammation. Piriton Allergy tablets block the effects of histamine, calming down the body's allergic reaction and starting to relieve the symptoms within half an hour.
Piriton Allergy tablets are used to treat allergies. They relieve the itchiness, redness, swelling, tenderness and irritation associated with many skin problems. You can take Piriton Allergy tablets for things like nettle rash, hives, heat rash, prickly heat, dermatitis, reactions to food, food additives or medicines, insect bites or stings.
Piriton Allergy tablets also relieve the sneezing and itchy, watery eyes and nose associated with hayfever.
Drug Interaction Precautions :
If you answer yes to any of these questions, tell your doctor or pharmacist before taking Piriton Allergy tablets.
- Are you allergic to any of the ingredients?
- Have you taken monoamine oxidase inhabitor (MAOI) treatment in the last 14 days?
- Are you pregnant or breast-feeding?
- Do you have epilepsy, glaucoma, an enlarged prostate, an over active thyroid, very high blood pressure, heart, liver or chest disease?
- Are you taking drugs to treat anxiety to help you sleep?
- Are you taking any medicine containing phenytoin for epilepsy?
The vast majority of people do not have any problems after taking Piriton Allergy tablets although all medicines can occasionally upset some people. The commonest side effect is drowsiness. This drowsiness can be helpful if symptoms are particularly troublesome at night.
Less common side effects :
* A few people may get an upset tummy, have blurred vision, headaches, difficulty in passing water, dry mouth, muscular inco-ordination, become jaundiced (go yellow), feel their heart beating faster, have chest tightness, ringing in the ears or feel dizzy.
* Allergic reactions to the tablet (e.g. rash, itching), blood problems, irritability or nightmares can very occasionally occur.
* Although very rare, elderly people can become confused or children become excitable.
If you feel the medicine has upset you in any way, tell your doctor or pharmacist.
Do not drink alcohol whilst taking this medicine.
If these tablets make you feel drowsy, do not drive or operate machinery.
Keep tablets where children cannot reach them
Do not use after the expiry date.
Swallow the tablet with a drink of water.
Adults: 4mg (One tablet) every four to six hours (maximum 24mg in one day).
Children aged 6 -12: 2mg (Half a tablet) every four to six hours (maximum 12mg in one day).
Children under 6: Not recommended
Active: Chlorpheniramine maleate
Also contains: Lactose, Maize Starch, Magnesium Stearate, Yellow Iron Oxide (E172)